In honor of Pi Day (3.14) I want to share with you one of my all time favorite recipes- The Best Peanut Butter Pie.
Those of you in Lagrange, I’m sure have been to (and adore) Hunter’s Pub like JRB and I do. One of the biggest reasons I love Hunter’s Pub so much (besides their awesome steak sauce) is their homemade peanut butter pie. Well, guess what!? This recipe is (in my opinion, no proof) their exact recipe. A friend of mine shared this with me last year, and I’m not going to tell you how many times I’ve made it.
The original recipe came from Mrs. Bettie Rocker, which apparently isn’t kept up anymore. Thank the Lord I was able to piece together this recipe. Summer (or really anytime ) wouldn’t be the same without it.
The Best Peanut Butter Pie
9 in. deep dis pie shell
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 cup peanut butter
2 cups milk
2/3 cup sugar
dash of salt
1 tsp vanilla
3 eggs, separated
4 tbsp. cornstarch
1 cup heavy cream
1/3 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1. Bake empty pie shell according to directions.
2. Blend the peanut butter and powdered sugar into a bowl; press together using a fork. This should create little peanut butter crumbles.
3. Pour 1/2 of the peanut butter/powdered sugar crumbles into the bottom of the pie shell. Save the remainder, and try not to eat it all.
4. In a pot, place egg yolks, milk, sugar, vanilla, salt, and cornstarch. Cook over medium heat until thick, stirring constantly. Once thick, pour this over the peanut butter crumbles in the pie crust.
5. Sprinkle half of the remaining peanut butter crumbles on top. (The rest goes on top of each piece along with the whipped topping)
6. Bake at 325 for thirty minutes. Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
For the whipped topping:
1. Place mixing bowl and beaters in the refrigerator until cold.
2. Mix all of the ingredients together until soft peaks form.
Option: instead of making your own whipped topping, just buy some Cool Whip and be done with it.
Serve with the whipped topping and the remainder of the peanut butter crumbles, and enjoy!